Monday, January 24, 2011

Kayaks and Sunburns

Don't think that just because you have a good base tan you can't still get a sunburn. I was foolish and retarded enough to think this. Generally, I am sooo good at putting sunscreen on and keeping my skin safe and healthy. This past week I got a little sun happy and after five hours in the sun turned a nice ripe tomato red. I had to show up to work like that and since I work with all guys you can imagine how many comments I received. Luckily, one of the guys decided to emulate me and today it was my turn to pick on him. Ahh the sweetness of revenge. Our lesson today, wear sunscreen alllllll the time in Hawaii, even if you have a tan already.

Sunday we decided to kayak to an island called Chinaman's Hat off the North Shore of Oahu. This is a little over a half a mile out and the surf was pretty calm getting there in the kayaks until we got to the opposite side facing the ocean. My kayak tipped over since I have an over eager boyfriend with more muscle than he knows what to do with. There is a tiny beach on the ocean facing side. The island is shaped after the straw hats farmers wear in China. Hence the name if you couldn't follow that. We hiked to the top of the island(about 500 feet up) and the view up there is spectacular. You get a good 180 degree view of Oahu's windward side and the Koolau mountains. Well worth the kayak trip and climb. I will definitely do this again with any friends that visit me.
Chinaman's Hat from the Koalua Beach Park

Koalua Park with the Koolau Mountains in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment