Saturday, January 8, 2011

First Friday

Ever first Friday of the month in Honolulu, Chinatown hosts a four block party that showcases art galleries in the district and small corner chic bars. It's very popular and generally THE place to be that one Friday of the month. I decided to go last night for my first First Friday, although I quickly discovered it would have been much more fun had I been a little intoxicated. Maybe a lot more.

I discovered many art galleries and small design shops I hadn't been aware of before and also some cool bars, one being an Irish pub called O'tooles, (but then you can never go wrong with an Irish pub), a multi-room dance club called SoHo, (apparently this is where all the girls on the island hang out), and a cool sushi and wine bar called Bambu with a dance floor next door. There is a rather large glass art gallery I will need to check out further since I have a fascination with glass art. The city shuts down Hotel street for a couple of blocks and by ten oclock the streets are packed with every ethnicity the island holds. Quite a few places charge cover but if you search hard some of them don't and the ones that don't usually have the best atmosphere anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment