Monday, May 9, 2011

Last Month in Hawaii

Time is flying by and I only have a short time to do the things I want to do on this island. This time is hampered even more by the fact that it's so hard to get anyone to get out and do anything with me and I don't have my own transportation. My boyfriend is no help either since he claims to HATE Hawaii and is less than thrilled to be out in nature. Uggghhhh, I guess I can't have it all. Anyway enough complaining. Kristina and I headed out yesterday to explore some things and even though it has been raining for the last three weeks with a torrential downpour, we decided it was worth it to get wet and dirty.
First up was the Byodo-In Temple in the Valley of the Temples which is a VERY nice cemetary built in 1968 not far from the Marine Base. The temple itself is built entirely without nails and is a replica of one in Japan that was built 900 years ago. The building is beautiful and the whole atmosphere here is very calm and serene. There is also a 3 ton brass bell that you are supposed to ring when you enter to ensure happiness and peace. The Buddha statue is covered in gold leaf and is 18 feet tall.

 
The temple is surrounded by koi ponds and lots of birds and swans. With all the rain we've been getting there were additional waterfalls in the background off of the Ko'olau mountains so the whole effect was very peaceful and almost like being in another country. We managed to make it out just when a tourist bus full of old people drove up. There is nothing worse than sight-seeing around old people. Or Asians. I don't care if that makes me sound racist or exclusive. It's a fact.

After this temple we decided to drive by the Mormon Temple as well. I basically spent my Sunday checking out religions other than my own, but not to worry, I wasn't swayed.
Continuing around the island we stopped for some of Romy's Shrimps and Prawns, some of the best spicy garlic butter shrimp and rice you will ever have and then stopped at Sunset Beach for some shells. Currently I am attempting to fill a vase I received that previously had flowers in it with shells from all the beaches I go to here. I'm about halfway there.
I have today off too and am trying to nag my boyfriend into doing something, which he won't, so I just need to motivate myself to go check out some waterfalls close to my house. This would be an urban hike and I find these less thrilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment